I made bread!

(And I thought I had a picture of it, but apparently not.)

Anyway, I was out of town for a few days (and brought back a cold!) so I'm just now getting caught up on life stuff, including blogging this Whole Wheat Sunflower Honey Oatmeal Bread I made two weekends ago. Let me tell you, making bread is definitely a weekend project. It's an all day project. Maybe it doesn't take as long for bread machine-based recipes but this isn't one of those.

Second thing, I omitted the sunflower seeds. I don't think anybody in my family likes them at all, let alone in bread. Thirdly, I didn't have white whole wheat flour so I mixed regular whole wheat flour with all purpose. Did it make the bread more dense, as the recipe suggests? I can't say for sure, since I can't compare it to the original recipe bread, but it was definitely filling. I may have eaten the end- and next-to-end pieces the first morning. So. Much. Bread. 😵  So yeah...stick to one piece at time. One piece is good. I ate it with Bumbleberry fruit spread from Giant.

Tools you will need: 1. a thermometer. 2. a mixer with a dough hook. Don't be stubborn like me and try to guess when your milk is ready. I got lucky but I could've just as easily scalded my yeast. As for the dough hook? I don't have that either so I knew I was committing to a lot of kneading. Just know that going in.

But is it worth the time it took? Absolutely. It has the softness of a quick bread but the sturdiness of a wheat bread. The honey gives it a subtle sweetness. And it's toastable! I'm glad I didn't talk myself out of trying this.


*********
Ok, seriously, my next two entries really should be cereal-related.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...