oh, right, bakes

Just thought I'd take a quick break from the deluge of new cereals (seriously; I have at least two more next week) to give a baking update. First, for the Fourth I wanted to make a pie. Preferably a mango-blueberry pie. But I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. So after consulting a few different recipes I started with this Rustic Raspberry-Peach Pie recipe from King Arthur Flour but used (almost) two cups of mango, two cups of fresh blueberries, and a 12 oz. bag of frozen raspberries. It turned out that only my brother and I like raspberries, so I probably should've used more mango. Also the amount of tapioca was a bit too much--I used it all because who knew how much water the raspberries would give off?--and made the filling almost jam-like. Again, more mango might've helped with that, too.

I also made it a regular pie instead of "rustic" like the recipe and it actually sealed up nicely. If I hadn't been so busy that day (I made that pie first thing in the morning) I might've remembered to snap a pic.


In flourless cookie doings, I made these Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip cookies yesterday, mostly because sweet potatoes and chocolate chips😋. I didn't even realize there was no flour involved until I started the recipe. I almost baked my sweet potato but then I said, self, follow the directions this time. So I did and it worked out great--I just mashed my boiled-perfectly-tender sweet potato with a fork. Super easy (it's the chopping of raw potato that requires patience). The texture of the finished product is...interesting. You know how when you add moist ingredients like pumpkin or applesauce you end up with chewy and/or gummy cookies? Now subtract the flour and you get what amounts to baked, pop-in-your-mouth bit of sweet potato pie. With chocolate. And some oats. They're really sticky so I stored them in the fridge. They'll probably be delicious cold.


*******
Next up, new cereals and granola.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...