weekend pie

It was a holiday weekend, we had guests, why not bake a pie? I really wanted to make a strawberry-rhubarb pie (I'm pretty sure our local farmer's market is selling rhubarb right now; I should really go down there and check) but while perusing my recipes I found this Strawberry Streusel Pie instead. I thought, just going by the ingredients, that it would be like a giant oatmeal cookie with a strawberry filling, but that's not quite it. It's more like a double-sided cobbler. I'm surprised my cobbler-disliking father ate it.

I made this early enough in the morning that my brother was able to take some home that afternoon. It sliced easily but I always have trouble lifting slices from the pan without falling apart. Especially with some thinner areas in this crust. This was the first time I ever (sort of) blind baked a pie crust. I bought a bag of dried beans, way overestimating how many I would need to fill out a crust, but it worked, at any rate.

The most tedious part was dicing all those strawberries; I tried every angle before figuring out to put the flat (hulled) side down to dice. All that work was worth it, though; it usually is. A little cinnamon, brown sugar-y oats, strawberries with a hint of lemon all mingling on your tongue? Totally worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...