soup with substitutions

I'm usually a stickler for following a new recipe to the letter, but sometimes, as you'll see, substitutions can't be avoided. Last week I made this Spicy Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Soup and everybody loved it. It was very filling and we didn't even miss the starch. Usually you expect a soup to have some pasta or beans or something.

First off, I used all sweet Italian sausage--which the recipe suggests--because a lot of spicy flavor isn't really my thing. Then I had to find a substitute for the broccoli rabe, which I assumed would be hard to find around here (I want to put in more of a effort toward looking for it next time, though). I just Googled "broccoli rabe substitute" and kale came up, so I figured, hey, we like kale, let's do it. I prepared it like the recipe states and added it to the soup at the same point and it cooked down just fine. I also used the whole bunch and it wasn't overwhelming.

Next, I cut back on the garlic--three large cloves was enough for me--and possibly the onion, I'm not sure. I rarely measure onion anymore; I just know how much is too much for us. The soup still had plenty of flavor and we did eat it all, even the leftovers (five servings for us). The source I linked to is not where I found this the recipe; I tore it out of a magazine along with several others. I think (I hope!) one of them has the name of the original cookbook because I would like to own that now.

And as much as I love soup, I know I'll be over it by Spring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...