french toast 101

Pepperidge Farm has this new limited edition Blueberry Swirl bread, so I thought I'd make french toast with it. It's actually been out at least a month now but I decided not to mention it until I was ready to write this entry.

So anyway, this is a super basic french toast method. I think my mom said she learned it in Home Ec in high school, so you can imagine how long ago that was (no, I'm not going to say). All you need is 1/4 c. milk, 1 egg, and a tablespoon of sugar. I think salt might be optional but I never use it, so...
Beat all these ingredients together in a dish that's wide enough to fit a slice of bread--any small piece of bakeware should work. Then heat a frying pan (I find a 12" can fit three slices of bread at a time), add a little bit of butter and make sure it thoroughly coats your pan.

Then add bread slices one at a time to your batter, making sure both sides of the bread pick/soak up a decent amount. Add to the frying pan and brown on both sides. Ta-da. Breakfast. [Ed. to mention: this makes about 3 slices of french toast. Multply the recipe as needed.]

I have plenty of other french toast recipes I've collected over the years but I've never made the kind where you soak it overnight in cups of milk or whatever because, you know, I can't eat that. Maybe someday I might try some of the stuffed french toast recipes but when it comes right down to it, simple is best for me in this case.

Oh, and the blueberry bread is pretty good, too. There were a few bites that actually felt like intact blueberries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...