that's the way we get pie

So I had the brilliant idea to make a lemon meringue pie for Easter. But I'd also had the brilliant idea to make buttermilk pancakes from scratch that morning. Yeah...my lower back is still sore from all the standing and stirring.

But my pie turned out almost perfect. I should say first that I don't think lemon meringue pie is a pie for beginners--at least I would've screwed it up if it had been the first pie I'd ever made. You really have to make sure to get as much egg white separated from the egg yolk as possible; I had to pick several strands of cooked egg white out of my pie filling. And like I said before, there's a lot of stirring involved until it comes to the right consistency.

The flavor was spot on; I used three lemons to get just the right amount of juice and zest (although according to my research, your number of lemons may vary). And my meringue turned out right, too--stiff peaks and everything. The only thing I didn't quite do correctly was sealing the edges. I thought I had but I still ended up with meringue shrinkage.

All in all, a bright, sweet Easter dessert. Maybe next year I'll bake a cake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...