weekend breakfasts

...And we're back. I actually had four breakfasts while I was away because my brother convinced me to get breakfast for dinner one night. Since when does Bob Evans serve breakfast all day? Anyway, omelet and toast, no big deal. What we're here for is how the lactose intolerant survive at a hotel breakfast bar for three days.

Pretty easily, actually. Of course, cereal was out of the question, but the choices weren't that great anyway: Kashi GoLean, granola (at least they had yogurt), Froot Loops and Frosted Flakes. But to my delight they had the Quaker Oatmeal vat! I don't know what the technical term is but that's what I like to call it. One full scoop is all you need for a serving. For toppers they had raisins, yogurt raisins, Craisins, brown sugar, some kind of nuts, and a sixth thing that I don't remember (sorry!). I had already settled on Craisins and brown sugar, so everything else departed from my mind. I also had a piece--probably halved--of banana bread with a swirl of cream cheese running through it, which was really good.

Morning two: I was determined to finally try my hand at making a waffle. I know these things have been around at least a decade but I was never in a waffle mood, really. So I filled up my plastic cup from the dispenser and followed the clearly posted instructions--pour in batter, close, flip, wait for the beep, flip back and open. Ta-da! Waffle. Not quite a full one but I couldn't finish it anyway. I also tasted the eggs just in case I didn't have another opportunity. These were definitely made from actual eggs as opposed to last year's.

Morning three: I ended up having scrambled eggs after all, but on that day instead of the waffle iron they shifted the oatmeal vat over and put out a tray with four compartments containing cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, strawberries, and pineapple chunks. Of course I went for the fruit. Add a piece of wheat toast and you have a complete breakfast. I was inordinately proud of my meal choices overall on this trip. So many fruits and vegetables! (And a shameless plug for Marriott? Yeah, I guess so.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...