hang on, soupy

Like I said yesterday, the weather is fighting against my need for Fall comfort foods! So I made soup anyway: clam chowder. Wait, you ask, clam chowder? Don't you have lactose issues? Yeah, so that's why I hadn't ever made a clam chowder before, they're usually too rich and creamy. But this one called for only a cup of milk, so I did half milk/half Lactaid (shh; don't tell anyone). And it didn't upset my stomach in the least.

It did, however, need more flavor. I have a really bad habit of not tasting my food before I serve it. I'm not a professional chef, obviously, but still, I should know better by now. The celery root has a very strong flavor presence and really needs something to counteract it. It probably didn't help that I used dried thyme, either. But hey, I had fresh parsley. And I actually ate the clams, unlike in canned soup where they get so chewy and inedible (to me, anyway). We'll see if the leftovers build up more flavor; they usually do.

A note about celery root: it looked more intimidating than it turned out to be. Cutting it wasn't too difficult and neither was peeling. I'll have to try it again sometime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...