expanding the repertoire

So you know how much I love roasted vegetables. I actually set aside some time two weekends ago when I was under the weather to sort recipes (they're always piling up) and I hit upon this one: Roasted Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Onion. When I was a kid I hated broccoli. But I was also very obedient, so I ate it. Everyone knows what happens when you overcook vegetables, right? They get all rubbery and flavorless. My mom had to bury it under cheese to coerce us to eat it. So I was curious to see what roasting would do.

I should also mention that I didn't--and still don't--like raw broccoli. It just tastes like dirt to me. But roasting takes the edge off that flavor and crispness, which makes it more appealing texturally to me. The flavor would have been more pronounced if I'd had enough garlic and any lemon juice to speak of. I still ate it, though, even the red onions, which were more sweet than I expected.

*******
Breakfast post next, for sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...