I finally did it!

File this one under "Things I Should Have Accomplished a Long Time Ago." I've been collecting granola recipes for a few years now but just couldn't bring myself to try one. There were so many brands and flavors to try, you know? I get distracted easily. Also, maybe I was afraid it wouldn't come out right. I'd burn it or it would be mushy instead of crispy, and so on.

Well, I needn't have doubted my baking ability. Or the thoroughness of a Sally's Baking Addiction recipe: "Hit the Trail" Trail Mix Granola. I went with this one first for a couple of reasons, 1. The reliability of Sally's recipes; 2. The ingredients. I guess that's it. Almonds, dried fruit, optional chocolate? I'm there. It also helped that I had all these ingredients on hand; if I was going to screw this up I didn't want to spend any extra money.

Now for the end product: first I have to say, how have I never thought to combine maple syrup and peanut butter? Ever. How? (Yes, the original recipe says almond butter but again, ingredients in my kitchen...) That might be my new favorite flavor combination. And the cinnamon doesn't hurt, either. I can't do cashews so I just added more oats and almond slivers; the ingredients were just enough to fill out one cookie sheet. It was fascinating to watch it bake up and cluster when I stirred at 15-minute intervals. The edges browned a bit more but I just had to redistribute them. Nothing burned.

I'm maybe a little too proud of myself for trying this one, but I don't care. I'll be over here eating homemade granola.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...