breakfast on the road

Or: how to survive without the traditional morning cereal. So I was a on a four-day trip over the weekend and you know hotel breakfast bars--Lactaid is not an option. Neither is taking the pills, for me. So I had to get creative for three mornings. Sunday morning was easy since that's my hot breakfast morning anyway. I had scrambled eggs that tasted like they'd been made from some kind of powder (is that a thing? Powdered eggs?) with water added and toast. Then I went back to the bar for two mini-muffins. I was starving that morning, I think because I didn't eat much the day before while traveling. I'm not the best traveler anymore.

Morning 2: oatmeal. While I prefer places that put out the big vat of oatmeal, at least the packets were an option here. I have no idea if I was supposed to microwave it after adding the hot water; it might have cooked it even more. At least now I'm primed for oatmeal season (Fall starts next weekend!).

Morning 3: After the generic oatmeal I wondered if the dry cereal was also not the good stuff. No matter; it was my fault for not buying a packet of granola at Target the day before. I think they still sell that. Anyway, I added a bowl of raisin bran to a tub of generic yogurt, which surprisingly did not upset my stomach (I'd eaten Yoplait since I was a kid in the early '90s to four or five years ago when it started to bother me and I've stuck with Dannon ever since). I also had one of those little coconut cake donuts; I don't think I've eaten one of those in years.

If I've somehow managed to not bore you thus far, you get a recipe for Pineapple Carrot Cake. Belated birthday cake for my dad. I thought it was a little dry but that was probably the new pan I used. Learn your equipment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...