hi, tea

So I'm trying to cut back on sugar a bit, and I've been saying for years that I wanted to try honey in my tea. Thanks to a freezing (not literally) morning yesterday, it was the perfect time to try it. I decided to use my old standby, Bigelow's Constant Comment. I grew up on this tea. This is my mom's favorite, so we always had it in the house, along with regular Lipton. These days I like more variety, but I will never not have Constant Comment around. It's perfect for warming up after being out in the cold, or on a morning when my throat's a little scratchy.

I figured this would be the best tea for my little experiment, since I know exactly how sweet I like it. I made the cup of tea first, then squeezed in a little bit of honey and stirred. Nope, not there yet. A teensy bit more. Still too hot to tell, maybe? A little bit more honey. I tasted it again--ugh, that tasted like a spoonful of honey. I realized then that there was still some water left in the teapot, so I topped off my cup. That did it. Just enough sweetness to complement, not mask, the flavor. I drank the whole cup.

I think I can keep doing this.

I still have three teas left over from last fall/winter--Bigelow's Pumpkin Spice, Celestial Seasonings' Sugar Plum Spice, and Twinings' Spiced Apple Chai. Hmm...I guess I like spice. We'll see how they take to honey.

Oh, and I couldn't end this entry without mentioning my all-time favorite seasonal tea, Celestial Seasonings' Gingerbread Spice. This is the best. If you like ginger and you drink tea...well, you see where I'm going with this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...