a time for cake

(As you'll see, I'm still a bit behind.) This Easter we had guests, so it was the perfect excuse to make a cake. Angel Flake Coconut Cake, to be precise. It seems there's a lot of coconut cake recipes out there but I saw this one first and made up my mind immediately. I have to be honest, though. The frosting sounded kind of gross to me. I don't really want pudding (however pudding-y it may have been mixed with the Cool Whip) on my cake. That's two separate desserts that I don't want to combine. I know, that's really rare for me. But anyway, since we're kind of over super-sweet frostings, I thought I'd try a Greek yogurt frosting. Yes, it's for cupcakes, but I didn't need that much anyway.

It came out as more of a glaze but that was actually perfect, since I only had enough flaked coconut for the cake batter and the finished layers (it was left over from the coffee cake I made in March). The sides were bare but that can make for a pretty presentation, too. As for the flavor, well, it should go without saying: you need to love coconut. Luckily, everyone in my family does. It's so intensely coconut that your brain thinks there's pineapple in there. But that's a cake for another time. I'm sure they're out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...