cod only knows

Yes, cod lends itself to a lot of puns. My brother went with "What if cod was one of us?" And why were we making cod puns? Because we had Chip-Crusted Fish Fillets last night. My mom had this years ago with a friend of hers and came home raving about it but it didn't sound appealing to me. Probably because I haven't eaten potato chips in years and couldn't imagine eating fish covered in them. But it's Lent, and the grocery stores always have great seafood sales this time of year, so I figured it was a good time to try cod.

I'd also never baked cod before. I've only had something resembling cod in fast-food fish sandwiches (and even those I stopped eating a long time ago); this was way better. Have you ever seen a cooking show where the fish was described as "buttery?" That's the best word I can use for this cod. It wasn't dry, it didn't have any bones, it just melted in your mouth--as much as fish can. And like the recipe says, baking the chips really mellows out the flavor. I tried one right out of the bag to compare; you still get the flavor on the fish but it's not so vinegar-y.

I could do this one again sometime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...