review: Puffins

Why Puffins? Why now? I can't really say. I've seen them in the cereal aisle before but there was always something else I was after. So last week they were staring me in the face, it was the Original flavor, and I think starting with the Original flavor is usually the best course of action. Usually.

The taste reminded me of something but it took a whole day for my brain to pull that one out of the files. If you're of a certain age you remember the theme cereals of the late '80s/early '90s, like Batman and Tiny Toon Adventures. They were corn-based (sometimes with other grains) cereals simply punched into a vaguely recognizable shape; when you bit into them the inside felt like a gritty powder and had a weird aftertaste. I bring this up to say Puffins is the good version of that.

Crispy puffs of corn and oats, Original Puffins has a mild sweetness not unlike Kix, but it's Puffins, so that makes it more fun. Just try saying the word "puffins." See? And I just found out last week that there's Pumpkin Puffins out right now. I hope I haven't over-pumpkined by the end of the month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...