can't get enough of French toast

I wanted to title this entry "Gahhhh..." because that's how you'll feel as you inhale the compote, after the first flip of the brioche, and when all is said and done and you're full of French Toast with Warm Peach Compote.

I'm not sure how I found this recipe--I'm guessing a breakfast and/or French toast slideshow--but it's been tucked away for about four years and it was past time to try it. I had my doubts about the eggy batter and the amount of time the bread sits and soaks it up but just do as the recipe says. No shortcuts. Don't cook it too high. You'll be rewarded with golden crispy slices (or chunks if, like me, you can't cut evenly) of not too sweet toast.

This is a good thing. The flavor's in the compote. Not just the sweetness of brown sugar but the zip of cinnamon and nutmeg. And the, um, peachiness of peaches. I piled so many peaches on mine that I could only eat one slice.

And this morning I reheated the leftover compote and put it on some oatmeal. I also had about three bites of French toast from yesterday. I just zapped that in microwave for a few seconds. It tasted like a donut. So odd but so delicious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...