non-irish, still soda bread

I almost missed out on the March/April issue of Savory, so it was well after St. Patrick's Day when I saw this recipe for Soda Bread with Almonds and Raisins. I'd never had soda bread before but the instructions sounded easy enough and I'm always up for an ingredient list that includes almonds and raisins. Also I just happened to have a fresh box of baking soda.

That day I was reminded why I need a stand mixer. Sticky dough went everywhere, including up in the hand mixer and around my mixer blades. It was not easy cleaning in those little holes. But the dough came together, and quicker than I realized. I couldn't really get the almonds and raisins incorporated; I might've been better off stirring by hand.

The next morning I made the suggested accompaniment, Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote. While it's not necessary, it was delicious and I may have eaten it almost every day that week. Even in yogurt. I should add that I used frozen rhubarb; since I wasn't sure how much water that would add to the mixture I added a tablespoon of cornstarch (mixed with the recipe's water) to thicken the mixture. That was a good idea; nobody wants watery compote.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...