fruitapalooza

Or: how not to feel guilty about French toast. Not that one should feel guilty about French toast per se, but brioche as my French toast? Once or twice a year. That's it. That stuff is rich.

Also? Not feeling guilty about birthday treats. That's my policy, regardless of whose birthday it is. They're birthday treats, and then you go back to your regular meals. Okay, enough analysis. My mom is not a big French toast-eater, but if it involves brioche and fruit? She'll be there. So I decided to try this Peach and Berry French toast that was in People magazine a few weeks ago. I have a peach-blueberry pie that my mom loves, so why not try those flavors for breakfast?

I worried about my frozen peaches cooking all the way through but they turned out fine. And hot! Seriously, watch those peach slices. They may have also made the bottom slices of bread a bit soggier than fresh peaches but that wasn't a dealbreaker.

Did I mention this was my first time making baked French toast? Maybe I should've said that first. And I had to make one change because my parents don't like figs (also, can you find fresh figs this time of year?): this Blueberry Maple Syrup cooked down (or up?) in about the same amount of time as the other recipe's blueberry-fig compote and I used an entire pint of blueberries. Waste not, want not, as the birthday girl is fond of saying.

Next up: cake!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...