what I do on a snow day, pts. 2 and 3

Since it looks as if Spring is finally here with no take-backsies 🌷, I thought I'd better hurry up and add this entry. A few weeks ago we had a snow day that ended up being a washout (so to speak), no school delays or anything, but I decided to go ahead and make these Chewy Molasses Cookies anyway. This wasn't the recipe I was planning to make but I changed my mind at the last second when flipping through an old Cooking Light issue. I just had a taste for molasses that week. No chocolate, no oats. And they were indeed chewy, with just enough sweetness to balance out the ginger. Why aren't they called "ginger cookies?" That's a good question. Maybe it's not enough ginger.

And then last week we had the one big snow of the season. A last-minute Winter dump. A foot and a half of snow. Luckily, thanks to the Spring sun, that snow is just about gone. But on a cold and snowy day all I wanted to do was bake a coffee cake. I've been holding to this recipe for Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake for a while now, originally because I didn't have any cardamom, and then because I totally forgot about it. Recipes can get buried and lost for years before I get around to sorting them. I can't tell you how it tastes yet, though, until I thaw it out this weekend. Yes, sometimes I bake just to bake. So I'll have to update this entry later.

Update: It's a very pronounced cardamom flavor. I like to think of it as cinnamon's woodsy cousin. So if you're new to cardamom you might want to use cinnamon in the streusel instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...