review: *new* Whole Hearts

I wasn't going to try this, but it was on sale for $1.99, so I figured, okay, for that I'll be your guinea pig. My first impression upon looking at the box (and tasting it) was that this must be Quaker's answer to Honey Nut Cheerios. It makes sense; they are the oat company.

The shape is intended to be a heart--it's more defined on the inside than out. The texture is close to Cheerios but maybe puffed with a bit more air. It's such a slight difference you might not even notice. When soggy, the chewiness reminds me of another cereal I used to eat but I can't think of it; it's driving me crazy. Alpha-Bits, maybe? And some of the corn/oat Cheerios.

The sweet flavor is similar to Corn Pops, which, coincidentally, was the other half of my cereal mix today (my brother was home last week and ate all my Oatmeal Squares--I expected that, though). You can really tell that a little something extra is missing since there's no nut flavor as well.

If forced to choose between Whole Hearts and Honey Nut Cheerios I'd choose the latter every time. But on its own merits, Whole Hearts is pretty good. I'll recommend it. And I'll buy it again.

****
In other cereal news, I picked up a box of Honey Nut Clusters on sale yesterday (they never go on sale) and noticed a new Fiber One: Nutty Clusters and Almonds. Yes, that's double the nuts. No, I won't be trying that one. I wonder, though, if that means they'll be phasing out Honey Nut Clusters in favor of a cereal with actual nuts. I hope not. On the other hand, there's so many cluster cereals these days...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...