pie time!

I don't bake often but my brother is home for the week and dominoes (no food pun intended) just kept falling. I was determined to make this blueberry rhubarb pie because my brother loves blueberries and he'd recommended strawberry rhubarb pie to me a few years ago. Now I'd never had rhubarb until this pie, but I guess if it can be baked, I'll try it.

First, I had to find some rhubarb. I actually had to go two towns over to Wegmans, where it turned it out to be cheaper to buy frozen rhubarb for the amount I needed. Once it thawed, I was able to really assess it for the first time. It reminded me of celery, but not as stringy (and don't worry, it doesn't taste like it either).

Another first time ingredient for me: tapioca. It's a thickener and I think I love it. Nobody likes runny, watery fillings, especially when using frozen fruit. Tapioca tightens that right up. It was nice to cut a slice and have nothing but fruit and crust.

As for the flavor, it was not too sweet, which was a good thing not only because of the small amount of sugar, but it also really allows the natural fruit flavor--mostly blueberry--to come through. I think sugar should highlight the fruit, not mask it. I will definitely make this pie again sometime.

***
In cereal news: Last night I picked up a box of Honey Almond Flax Total on clearance at Target. Could this mean a new flavor of Total is coming later this year? What are the trendy flavors in cereal right now? I'm guessing something in the berry family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...