who wants ice cream sandwiches?

Or rather, who doesn't want ice cream sandwiches? You, put your hand down. Anyway, I made ice cream sandwiches with store-bought cookies last weekend for entertainment purposes, which reminded me that I hadn't made any from scratch in a long while (the cookies, not the ice cream. I'm not that much of a DIY-er). And these oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches are the best. I think I've only seen maybe three episodes of "Down Home with the Neelys" and that's one of them. There's so much to like about these cookies: they come out flat, which is perfect for sandwich-making; they're huge, which is perfect for feeding large men who otherwise wouldn't go near an ice cream sandwich; and they're delicious, which is probably most important!

A note on the flavor--the main difference between these and, say, the typical Quaker ones is that it omits vanilla extract in favor of allspice. I can't really put the flavor into words; I want to say "heavy" or "earthy." But it's a good balance with the sweetness of whatever ice cream flavor you choose. I like to use chocolate chip or fudge ripple but I still had vanilla bean leftover from last weekend so I went with that.

*****
And on a totally unrelated note, I had strawberry Mini-Wheats for the first time since they redesigned the box (was pink, now it's red) and the strawberry flavor is intense. Not only in the frosted part but also little bits bundled in the wheat. The scent just smacks you in the face. It's probably what a My Little Pony would eat for breakfast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...