pie! that's what's happening

Sure, I can be chipper about it today but yesterday's pie undertaking was exhausting. There's a reason I don't like to make pie crust from scratch--when you add up all the mixing and rolling and peeling and slicing...I was just so tired by the afternoon. Oh, I should link to the pie now: Double Apple Pie with Cornmeal Crust. Last week I was looking for additional uses for apple jelly (besides the obvious) and I came across this pie recipe. Then I remembered my sister was coming home so I thought, now's a good time to make this pie. Crust included. Who ever heard of putting cornmeal in a pie crust? It was a novel idea, so I went for it.

I had originally planned to make the crust the night before but that didn't work out. If you're going to attempt this pie by yourself, seriously consider doing it that way. The method in the recipe of adding a tablespoon at a time of water/cider (I didn't have any cider) really helped it come together. For once I did not screw up a pie crust. The only problem was trying to roll it out with my tired arms and burgeoning headache. Next time I will hand that task off to someone else.

As for the apples, I used four Braeburns and four Granny Smiths--your scale may vary--and despite my doubts, they really do need all the sugar that the recipe calls for. Setting aside the apple filling juices to pour on top was a nice touch, too. The finished product tastes kind of like an apple Danish, with the crispy/flaky crust and slight crunch to the apples. I could definitely eat this for breakfast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...