have your cake, eat it too

The title of this post comes from my mother pointing out that my dad got two forms of cake for Father's Day. The first was an actual cake: Peach Cobbler Loaf Cake. Here's mine:

I might have thinned that glaze a teensy bit too much but with all that crumble (seriously, it's a lot of crumble) you don't even really need the glaze. I chose this cake because my dad is not a big fan of actual cobbler (boo). If it doesn't have a bottom crust, he's not into it. But cobbler as cake? Why not? And, bonus, the cake itself actually tastes like a cake donut. Flavor and texture.


The second "cake" was actually Carrot Cake Waffles. I know I've mentioned before that my dad looooves carrot cake. In fact, I think he bought himself a slice a few weeks back. He must've found out I wasn't making one this time around. Luckily, he loved these. He ate two! I made a few tweaks, though. I didn't make the syrup because--and I'm sure I've said this several times--no one likes ginger as much as I do. I think they would have made a delicious addition to the waffles, but the waffles didn't suffer for having been topped with regular maple syrup. And since I didn't do the syrup I added the raisins to the batter. Oh, and I omitted the nuts.

I didn't take a picture because none of my waffles came out totally full. It's hard to tell how much batter to use when you're trying out a new recipe for the first time. If I had filled them to the edges of the waffle iron it might've made four like the recipe states; instead, I got six. Size, schmize, totally worth it.


*******
In brief cereal news, I picked up a box of Cocoa Puffs Ice Cream Scoops for my brother. He'll be visiting soon. I'm sure if I ask nicely he'll let me sample it. 😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...