still making breakfast

I told you there'd be baking over the three-day weekend. I was searching for a quick bread or cake that incorporated pears and settled on this Honey Pear Bread. Since my grandmother was to be the recipient of some this bread--the recipe made two loaves!--I opted for her preferred honey, Gunter's. Luckily, it's sold in stores up here. And since I've only used it for this recipe, I have yet to compare it to old-school Sue Bee.

But on to the bread. It's ridiculously moist, as you would expect from a bread made with extremely juicy pears. It's also loaded with spices. The flavor reminds me of a Betty Crocker spice cake except, you know, from scratch. I also didn't really pick up on the honey flavor, so I'm wondering if it's purpose was to amplify the sweetness--or the spice-ness. Or to balance out the pears. Not that it matters. Still a winner.

******
Then I decided at the last minute to make something for my visiting sister. I always end up making granola or something. This time I decided to try these Whole-Grain Breakfast Bars. They're like a step up from a regular granola bar but not as large as a breakfast cookie. There's plenty of oats and just enough flour to hold them together. I stuck mine in the fridge because the mashed banana was making them sticky; heating them in the microwave for a few seconds just made them that much better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...