happy cake day

I held off blogging for a day so I could actually taste the cake I'm about to share: Pear Upside Down Cake. Everybody's had Pineapple Upside Down Cake, right? Or maybe you don't like/can't eat pineapple. Well, this one's ridiculously easy, too.

First of all, I had to find an icing-less cake for my mom, as she's not so into the sweet stuff anymore. This cake caught my eye and I tucked it away until yesterday. It's pretty simple: melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and sliced pears topped off with a box of yellow cake mix. I used Duncan Hines, like I do for my Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe, and no, I don't mind taking the boxed mix shortcut sometimes. That's what the recipe called for. *shrug*

The trickiest part, maybe, is knowing when your pears are ripe. I gave mine a week; they were lighter in color and definitely ready to go. Oh, and I used D'Anjou pears because that's what was available.

The flavor was just right for my mom: not too sweet, but enough cinnamon to make it interesting. And I later realized, of course cinnamon goes with pears, otherwise Del Monte wouldn't make cinnamon pears. The cake itself was very light, which was great because I wasn't in the mood for something heavy and dense. Maybe it could've used a little more pear flavor (like how you add pineapple juice to that cake batter) but it was still simple and tasty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...