a miniature trip down memory lane

So I read this article in American Profile last weekend and it got me thinking: why didn't I ever do that? I'm guessing a lot of kids have tried to save their cereal box prizes but couldn't follow through, whether from boredom or wanting to play with everything or mom started throwing stuff away when it piled up...so for whatever reason, I couldn't do it, either.

But it also made think about cereal premiums from when I was kid. Could I even remember any of them? One, for sure. Mini-license plates. They came in a big box, which I'm visualizing as Honeycomb but I can't possibly be sure. I remember I got a Texas one first--that was important as I lived there at the time--but I also got a Maryland one. I took it as a sign: I should move there one day. Yeah, still working on that one.

I also remember baseball cards but no specific toys. I know in the last few years some General Mills cereals had crazy straws--I wanted to save them, but in a half-hearted way, so they were also tossed out at some point.

You know what else I never did? Collected UPC codes to send in for the big prizes. Maybe I wanted that Lucky Charms spoon or Corn Flakes rooster bowl. Or maybe I thought the real thing wouldn't be as great as the picture on the back of the box. Like how Happy Meal toys are only fun on the ride home.

It's probably a good thing that I haven't started any more collections. I have enough junk as it is.
******
Tomorrow I try a new cereal! Review to follow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...