soup season's almost over

I know some people eat soup all year 'round but I...just can't. So this may be the last soup recipe for a while: Roasted Sweet Potato and Quinoa. I picked this soup for my brother as he's a big fan of sweet potatoes but as it turned out, he didn't get any. The recipe says it makes four servings so some of us (ahem) must have eaten more than our share.

This is another soup that requires a blender; I also liked the idea of starting and ending soup season that way. I was grateful for already figuring out how to blend soup; I didn't make a mess and (more importantly) I got the texture right.

So I'd never had sweet potato in a soup before--I think the sweet onion really helped to bring out the sweetness without the typical cinnamon/nutmeg flavors I'm used to in Thanksgiving dishes. And the quinoa? Also a new experience. First off, I made too much. Don't ask me why I thought one cup dry would equal one cup cooked. I'm pretty sure that doesn't apply to any other grain, either. But it was...interesting. It kind of looks like giant translucent couscous but feels like corn off the cob. It turned out to be a good idea to try it in a soup first. Next time: a side dish.

If you've never made a soup, this might not be the place to start, but the final product is worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...