pork notes

I know I've been saying it a lot lately: easy, easy, easy. But I mean it this time (and, well, every time): this Pork and Egg Lo Mein is really easy to put together. Actually most skillet dishes are, which I why I make so many of them. Sliced pork and red pepper, cooked egg, a bag of broccoli slaw--hardly any work involved at all. So why did it take me two years to try it? Well, I'd never tried oyster sauce before--that I knew of. If you smell or taste it though, you realize it's a familiar flavor in Chinese takeout. It makes this dish taste just like store-bought lo mein, but fresher. Maybe they still use MSG where I live, I don't know, but this recipe just felt lighter and healthier. And I'd never had broccoli slaw, either, come to think of it. My 12 oz. bag was plenty, by the way; I think the 4 cups the recipe calls for would've been overkill.


******
Totally off-topic but I had to acknowledge the passing of my favorite website everTelevision Without Pity. I know it's not the tone I choose to take with this blog but their recappers taught me how to snark with intelligence and class.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...