second-chance oatmeal

You may recall an entry from a few weeks back: I tried mmm...muffins Blueberry Muffins oatmeal and I screwed it up. I also said I'd try it again with a few adjustments. Okay, one adjustment, really.

I used the same small pot as before, adding water and oats together (which is not what the package directs). Then I brought it all to a boil, turned it down and simmered for 90 seconds. Finally I took it off the burner and put a lid on it for two minutes. Ta-da! Real oatmeal.

It seems these rolled oats just take a little bit longer to cook--that's the difference between barely softened, runny oat water and actual oatmeal. It still has a more chewy texture than the instant oatmeal you're used to but the flax seeds provide a crunchy contrast. Also, your desired thickness may vary so definitely lift the lid and check after the first minute. I could've splashed some milk on there to loosen it up a little but it wasn't a huge deal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...