hash it out: a breakfast experiment

So after Sunday's dinner we had some leftover sides (no pork, that was polished off) and I couldn't just toss them. They didn't fit with dinner plans for the rest of the week, either. So I thought I'd turn them into hash and eat them for breakfast. I got the idea the from my sister who'd made a dinner hash recently.

Anyway, I looked around the Internet to get a general idea of how to do this. I've never made any kind of hash, ever. All I wanted to do was get a nice sear/char on the potatoes and reheat the dish thoroughly. A basic sweet potato hash--from what I could gather--has sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, seasonings of choice, and an egg (or eggs) cooked separately or with it. My leftovers already had onions, apples, and dried cranberries so I didn't want to change the flavor by adding peppers. I also didn't need to steam the potatoes since they were already cooked. So I cut the potatoes into chunks, heated a pan with a little bit of oil, then dumped everything in. Once it browned on one side I flipped it and added my egg. I haven't fried an egg in years, so I think it came out over medium instead of over easy. Some of the yolk was still runny, which, of course, is asking to be dipped.

It wasn't bad: it was filling, hadn't lost any flavor, and was a nice change of pace. I should probably break up the weekday routine more often.

*******
Never fear! I haven't forgotten the reason for this blog. I have two new cereals and a granola to open next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...