teensy cabbage

Like a lot of people, I find tiny versions of things both hilarious and adorable. Now I can add Brussels sprouts to that list. I could've sworn I blogged about this last month but apparently I didn't--at Thanksgiving I had Brussels sprouts for the first time ever. I mean ever. In my life (we won't go into how many years that is). I only tried them for two reasons: 1) I wasn't going to gorge on Thanksgiving dinner without a vegetable on my plate, and 2) I'd heard a few days earlier that week that Brussels sprouts were in the cabbage family, and I do like cabbage, so they couldn't be that bad.

I should point out now that the reason I never had Brussels sprouts is because I didn't grow up with them. Both of my parents loathed them and refused to serve or eat them. Well, if you'd grown up eating mushy, slimy sprouts of course you'd want to stay far, far away from them.

But these Brussels Sprouts with Bacon were cooked in a way not dissimilar to how my mom cooks regular cabbage. They're tender and flavorful but not mushy. I tried my hand at them last week and I'm for sure a Brussels sprouts convert. Even my dad ate his. Maybe next month I'll see what roasting does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...