soup and bread

A classic combination, right? Well, it would be if I could find links to the recipes. They're from this month's Relish magazine, just so you know, and I'll insert links when I can.

Anyway, it started with the biscotti. Parmesan and Black Pepper Biscotti. It's a lot of cheese and a lot of pepper. But it makes a reasonable amount (I only cut seventeen) and are perfect for dunking in soup. I've never made biscotti before but they don't really involve kneading so I thought it was worth a shot. The dough came together really easily but shaping it into the right-sized log took work. I was worried that I didn't have the right shape but once it came out of the oven and I started slicing it began to resemble biscotti.

I also ate a crumb at that step. Soooo peppery. What if nobody liked them?

The second step, baking the slices, seemed to help. The cheese flavor came through along with the pepper and both complemented the Italian seasoning in the soup.

Oh, here's a link to the soup (you can see the biscotti in the picture) White Bean and Vegetable Soup with Meatballs. This was a great way to use up some meatballs we had in the freezer; unfortunately that didn't leave enough for leftovers, so I'll just be having White Bean and Vegetable Soup tonight. It's pretty similar to the Vegetable Bean Soup but with a change of flavor. Also the rice. I think I read somewhere recently that rice can be used as a thickener in soups, but I can't say for sure.

I'm just scrolling down the recipe at the link; my print version calls for a bag of frozen meatballs, cooked before adding to the soup in the last 10 minutes. But if you want to make meatballs, knock yourself out.

********
I won't make any promises but my next 3 entries should be reviews.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...