review: *new* Wegmans Vanilla O's

Do you ever wake up in the morning and say to yourself, "You know what I want for breakfast? Beans." Yeah, me neither. Don't get me wrong, if it's part of a recipe for breakfast burritos or something, I'm not going to pick the beans out. I'm just saying I've never had a taste for a big bowl of beans in the a.m.

But then Wegmans (no apostrophe!) had to go and create a new line of cereals with beans and lentils, so of course I had to try it. I decided to start with the Vanilla O's since that's not a flavor in the Cheerios line right now (that's a good idea, though). First off, although the bean flours are the first ingredient(s), you should know there's also oat and rice flours; I would think they'd give the finished product a little more bulk, more heft.

Starting with the sniff test, of course: a good, natural vanilla scent. Then an examination of the O's themselves--a little flat, and larger than Cheerios. It reminded me of the old-style Banana Nut Cheerios (not the superior revamp). They also looked suspiciously hollow. No jokes about a cereal having a giant hollow circle in the middle, I mean hollow like a hula hoop. Finally I tasted: yep, light, airy and crisp. And you can taste the beans. I won't say it's off-putting but you can taste something. If you've ever had a bean-based chip--like these veggie crisps--you know what you're getting into.

Really my only issue was with the flavor. The scent held such promise but the vanilla flavor didn't follow through. I'll be mixing these with various Cheerios, though, for a texture/grain change-up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...