the cereals in my life vol. 2 -- aw, nuts!

Aside from all your typical kid-focused cereals--the Trixes, the Apple Jacks(es), the sugar-frosted sugar bombs--the one cereal I truly loved was Nut & Honey Crunch. It had sweet flakes coated with honey and little bits of nuts (obviously) and was so unlike everything else I ate. I even remember that blue box. But then, one day, like so many other cereals, it was gone. Had the flavor simply run its course? Had Kellogg's latched on to some new trend? I honestly don't know.

Luckily, when I was in college, I discovered this: Honey Crunch Corn Flakes. Hey, I said to myself, isn't this the same thing? I should totally eat this. And eat it I did. Until my senior year, when it started disappearing from the shelves. Not again, I thought. The last box I saw was an English/Spanish version at Big Lots. My roommate said, "Why don't you buy it?" But I couldn't. I was already moving on. The only good thing about a cereal ending its run is that something interesting will be along to replace it.

Cut to: 2011, and the introduction of Crunchy Nut cereals. It piqued my interest until I saw that it was made with peanuts. Can't do it. Without venturing into TMI territory, let's just say that that's not happening. So disappointing. Oh, well.

(And a quick mention of Honey Nut Clusters, which is not really the same thing. I know it's been around forever but I finally tried it for the first time last year. It's really hard to find these days but it still exists. Anyway, I was genuinely surprised to find that it contains no nuts! Just the flavor of nuts. I'll probably get around to reviewing it later.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...