cake and other things (but mostly cake)

So how's your Thanksgiving prep going? I just made my second dessert and handed off stuffing prep duty (why do all that chopping tomorrow?). So now I'm done for the day. But I still wanted to mention my birthday cake.

As you may well know, I consider my birthday to be the kickoff to the holiday season. As such, I don't want to overindulge in rich, complicated or large birthday cakes. So this year the October issue of Cooking Light solved my problem with this Whole-Grain Apple Cake. I did not make the yogurt cream, though, because it's my birthday and I want ice cream with my cake. Seriously, it's the only day of the year I eat those two things together.

So this cake I had everything I wanted--a reasonable size, fruit, and whole-wheat pastry flour. I opted to chunk my apples because, well, I like big chunks. It's almost like a pie but with more batter. And ridiculously moist, I guess thanks to the buttermilk. And I managed to find another use for the buttermilk. But I'll get to that eventually. Yes, I'm backlogged (backblogged?) again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...