review: Quaker quick 3-minute Steel Cut Oats -- blueberries and cranberries

That almost takes longer to say than to cook. Anyway, hey, it's been a long time since I reviewed a hot cereal. I wasn't sure if I'd like steel cut oats--and I'm still not sure about the real thing--but I figured this "instant" version would be a start. It takes three minutes in the microwave, which is the preferred method, so I did what the directions said. You have to heat it with water and then add milk later if you so choose (yep). So after following the directions it came out of the microwave hot but with a thin layer of water on top. All I had to do was stir that in to fully incorporate it.

The result was thick and creamy, what I imagine porridge to be like in terms of consistency. The milk wasn't even really necessary but, again, that's how I do it with regular oatmeal anyway. There was a bit of a nutty taste to it and I didn't really notice the berries--I may have been too concerned with texture to really notice anything else, though. Oh, and one packet was enough. I did have some coffee cake (next entry) on the side, though, which may have--okay, probably--contributed to my sense of fullness.

I look forward to trying this one again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...