the cereals in my life vol. 3 -- the cereals NOT in my life

I thought of this the other day when I noticed the monster cereals were out--you know, Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry. They're (Halloween) seasonal around here, but I swear when I was a kid you could get them year-round. Not that I ever got any. They were definitely on the Mom List of Automatic "No's."

Everyone's mother drew the line somewhere, right? And it didn't make sense to your kid-logic, did it? I never could understand why my mom would let us have Cocoa Puffs or Cocoa Krispies occasionally (although my brother ate them, mostly) but no Count Chocula or Cocoa Pebbles. Cookie Crisp sometimes, too, but they weren't entirely chocolate.

In the "fruity" category: Trix, yes; Froot Loops, sure, but no Fruity Pebbles. Or the Berry cereals mentioned above. Could it be...was my mother a brand snob? I know the Pebbles were Post but the Monster cereals are General Mills...so...nope. I think it's just a case of arbitrary mothering. Of course, the first thing I think of now is, man, I'm surprised more of those cereals didn't go right through me. I could see my mom not wanting that to be her first explanation, though.

And at this point you may ask, hey, aren't you an adult now? Can't you just buy these yourself? Yes, but, I have no desire to try them. I missed that window. *shrug*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...