cookie swap

Only the swap in question didn't involve other people, just a key ingredient. I wanted to try these Loaded Oatmeal Cookies (and if I'm not careful I may develop a Sally's Baking Addiction addiction) which specifically call for rolled oats. I grew up on 1-minute oats and it never occurred to me to try anything else, not even for baking. If it ain't broke..., you know? But old fashioned oats are supposed to be more hearty and chewy and after I thought about it while I realized, yeah, my oatmeal cookies always have been kind of dry. Not that they're inedible or anything bad. But I felt like experimenting.

Just from opening the container I could see the difference. Okay, this is a whole oat; the other stuff is chopped up to cook faster. They didn't really break up in the dough or leave intact pieces once baked, which was my concern. And yes, they are definitely more moist and chewy--although the molasses may have something to do with that. I have to say, molasses in an oatmeal cookie? Genius. The dough smelled great even before adding the mix-ins.

I played it safe and went with a combo everyone in my family likes: white chocolate chips and Craisins. If I had been making these to send to my brother I might have done the crushed peanut butter cups and pretzels. Next time.

One other note: it might be tricky to tell when the edges are lightly browned because the dough is so dark to begin with. Trust me, the recipe's allotted time is correct. I lifted one cookie (from the first batch) with a spatula to check the underside and ended up flipping it. So, yeah, they need those first five cooling minutes on the cookie sheet.

Off to print out more stuff I probably shouldn't...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fun on a bun...